Texas Instruments Vintage Calculators
Texas Instruments has been providing students and professionals with advanced calculators for generations. All models are electronic and feature many different functions. They come in a variety of categories, such as graphing, scientific, financial, or basic.
What are the different types of Texas Instruments calculators?
A basic model is sufficient for simple calculations. It has fewer buttons and programs that other types. For calculating logarithms, trigonometry functions, and exponents, a scientific calculator is necessary. Graphing calculators can do all of that, while also being able to graph functions and data.
- Basic: Texas Instruments manufactures the TI-503, TI-1706, TI-10, TI-108, and TI-15 Explorer for basic calculations.
- Scientific: Some of the available Texas Instruments scientific calculators are the TI-30Xa, TI-36X Pro, TI-30Xs, and TI-34 MultiView.
- Graphing: There are also Texas Instrument graphing calculators, and they include the TI-85 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-Nspire, TI-89 Titanium, Voyage 200, and TI-73 Explorer. Because of the amount of hardware they require, they are larger in size than scientific calculators.
- Financial: The BAll Plus and BAll Plus Professional calculators include specialized business functions not found in other models.
How are Texas Instruments calculators powered?
Some models, such as the TI-36X Pro and TI-34 MultiView, are powered by solar energy. This means exposing the screen to sunlight can recharge them. The TI-NSpire is charged through a docking station in a similar fashion to a smartphone. Others, like the TI-83 Plus, are powered by alkaline batteries. Certain calculators use more than one method to get their power. The TI-36X Pro is powered by solar energy, but accepts alkaline batteries as backup.
Are there different calculators for different courses?
Texas Instruments suggests different models for different courses based on their functionality and features.
- For pre-algebra, algebra, or trigonometry, choose from the TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-84 Plus CE, or the TI-Nspire CX. They include all basic functions, plus some advanced calculations.
- For geometry, pre-calculus, or calculus, pick from the TI-84 Plus, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-89 Titanium, or the TI-Nspire CX CAS. They include basic functions, plus required advanced computations.
- For engineering or other advanced courses, select from the TI-89 Titanium, TI-Nspire, Voyage 200, or TI-73 Explorer models. They include the most buttons, functions, and features of all models.
- Scientific and graphing calculators are permitted for SAT, AP, or PSAT tests, excluding those with online connectivity. Titanium, Nspire, and models with online capabilities are not permitted on the ACT test.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Texas Instruments.