How To Replace the LCD Display on Your IBM ThinkPad
Laptops and notebook computers will always be more susceptible to damage than their desktop counterparts. Sometimes, no matter how well you protect your ThinkPad, laptop screens can still become cracked, damaged, or broken. If you find you need to replace the LCD display on your ThinkPad, here are some answers to some commonly asked questions.How do you choose the right part?
In some cases, you may be able to order a new screen based on the model number of your laptop. In other cases, certain screens may fit on a variety of laptop models or devices and may be listed by the part number instead. Generally, you can find the serial number and model information on a label found on the bottom of the ThinkPad laptop. If there is no label on the bottom of the laptop, here are some other places you might be able to find the model number:
- On the LCD frame or around the top of the keyboard
- Near the LCD Hinge
- Near the ON/OFF switch above the F6 key
Many LCD screens are actually comprised of two different parts: the LCD display itself and a glass screen that covers it. It is important to be aware of the options that are available so that you can be sure you are ordering exactly the right replacement part for your ThinkPad laptop. There are three was to repair or replace a damaged LCD screen depending on which part of the screen is damaged.
- Glass screen: You can purchase the glass cover alone if only the glass is cracked and needs to be replaced.
- LCD and glass screen: If there is an issue with the LCD itself, you can purchase a replacement LCD screen that includes the glass cover.
- Screen frame assembly: Another way to repair your ThinkPad laptop is just to purchase a replacement for the entire top assembly, which includes the LCD screen and glass already assembled in the case. In that case, you can simply remove the damaged top case from your ThinkPad laptop and replace it with a new one.
LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. The liquid crystals in your laptop screen actually rely on a backlight to produce an image. Not only do LCD screens offer a crystal clear, sharp image but they are also extremely energy efficient. This is important for mobile devices that rely on batteries to keep them powered up.
An LCD screen contains a certain number of pixels that determine how sharp or clear the image is. The more pixels located within a certain amount of space, the clearer and sharper the image will be. A high definition screen is generally considered to be 750p or higher, which means the screen will show 750 pixels per square inch. A 1080p screen will have just over 1,000 pixels per square inch and a 4K screen will have nearly 4,000 pixels per square inch.