All About Portable AM/FM Radios From GE
Whether you want to blast a boombox while walking down the street or need an emergency radio in case power gets knocked out during a storm, you'll find a GE portable AM/FM radio to suit your needs. Portable radios can be as small as the palm of your hand or as big as a microwave and offer a variety of models and features.What kinds of portable radios are there?
- Headset: This type of portable AM/FM radio incorporates the radio elements into the actual headset. It allows you to listen to music hands-free while you're on the go.
- Pocket: These are a convenient size to take along wherever you go. Many have both a built-in speaker and a headphone jack.
- Tabletop: Portable tabletop models usually have a built-in handle. They also feature built-in speakers and usually have a telescoping antenna. Many of these are AC-powered and will also have a battery compartment for when you can't plug in.
You'll find a wide variety of portable AM/FM radios. Some features to look for include:
- Cassette deck: Many portable radios can also play cassette tapes. Some models are designed to play micro-cassettes, but most will play full-size cassettes. If the model is able to play cassettes, it will usually feature play, stop, rewind, and fast-forward buttons. Some models also include a record button, allowing you to record music from the radio.
- Belt clip: Some of the pocket-sized radios have a built-in belt clip for easy carrying.
- Headphone jack: Some models will feature a speaker and also have a headphone jack for private listening. Others will have just one or the other.
- Sound adjustment: Some tabletop models will include tuning dials to adjust audio quality such as bass and treble in addition to the volume knob.
- Scan: This feature will scroll through the radio spectrum and pause when it finds a clear radio station.
- Clock: Some of these portable radios have a clock and may include an alarm.
- Audio out: Some models with have an audio out port that enables you to connect to external speakers.
- Stereo sound: If the radio has two speakers, it will probably produce stereo sound. However, some radios that have one speaker may offer stereo sound when headphones are plugged in.
While many of these radios have an AC port or adapter, they can often run on batteries as well. They are useful in case of emergencies when power is out. They are also useful when out hiking, backpacking, or camping to keep tabs on weather conditions.