A bed skirt, also known as a dust ruffle, is used for many reasons. On higher frames, it allows the fabric to hang down so that contents under the bed aren't seen, and the skirt is designed to hang lower than the comforter or quilt so that the frame isn't visible. It adds a finishing touch to the decor that you have in place, being sandwiched between the box spring and mattress, and once in place, it won't move until you decide to take it off.What sizes do bed skirts come in?
A bedskirt is made to fit virtually every size mattress that is available on the market, which includes Twin (and extra long), full, queen, king, and California king.What materials do bed skirts come in?
Bed skirts are made of all sorts of materials. You should choose a material that is the same or closely resembles what the comforter and the rest of the bedding is made of. Further, you want to choose something that is easy to keep clean. You can find bed skirts made out of the following materials:
You will find that there are a lot of features found in dust ruffles. Familiarizing yourself with them will make it easier to choose one that looks good in your room. The features to consider are the following:
- Tailored: A tailored bedskirt is going to fit well on your bed frame, and will have fitted corners.
- Elastic: The elasticity allows the skirt to fit more snugly on the box spring.
- Machine washable: This makes maintenence easy.
- Pins: Pins may be included to keep the dust ruffle in place.
- Ruffled: Ruffles can add an extra layer of decoration.
It's important to find a bed skirt that's going to go with the rest of the decor in the room. Pay close attention to the size of the bed as well as the colors that are already on the bedding. This will make it easier to make a few decisions to get a coordinating bed skirt.
- Size of bed: Review the size of the mattress as well as the drop length based on the height of the bed.
- Color: Choose a color or print that will match the rest of the bedding.
- Bed in a bag: Find a skirt that is part of an entire bedding kit, providing you with matching sheets and pillow cases.
- Brand: Some designers have made dust ruffles to go with the rest of their bedding offerings.