Automotive Clear Coat Paint
Many people who own cars are likely to need new paint at some point. When encountering this situation its important to know what is involved.What is clear coat paint?
Clear coat paint or finish is a type of paint or resin that has no color or pigment, making it clear. This specific type of paint contains chemicals that adhere to the components of the car that can flex, such as the bumper or fender. These paints provide a layer of protection that prevent the suns Ultraviolet rays from fading the undercoat color of your car. Clear paint is typically made from urethane or polyurethane, giving the car a glossy or shiny protective outer coat.What are some different types of clear coat automotive paint?
Clear paint is typically made from either a urethane paint or an acrylic paint. The latter type used to be the common industry standard for gloss; however, it has now been replaced by urethane paints. Urethane paints are extremely durable and will typically last a long time. A spray can is one of the most convenient ways to apply clear coat. This type of paint also dries very quickly, although it is toxic and should be used in safe conditions.How do you put clear coat on a vehicle?
You will need several materials to spray clear coat on a car. Before starting the job, determine the needs of your project. If you are repainting a car or truck, first select the new color you desire before beginning the process.
- Prepare the car by covering areas that you do not want painted; use either tape or paper for those areas and the windows.
- Sand the car or truck or use paint remover on any areas that need repainted.
- Use a primer on the areas that need repainted, and allow them to dry completely.
- Wipe down the car or truck to remove any wax or oils.
- Spray your base color onto the car or truck. Be sure to keep the spray about 6-10 inches away from the car. Disregard steps two and four if you only seek to add a top layer of gloss to the car.
- Once the base paint is completely dry, now is the time to spray the surface with the clear gloss.
- The final step is to buff the car and polish the final clear coat, once everything has dried.