American Girl Dolls
American Girl dolls were originally released in 1986 by the Pleasant Company. These 18-inch historical dolls are famous for their portrayal of 8 to 11-year-old girls from different historical eras and ethnicities. The brand also sells a line of dolls that have different options for hair and eye color, allowing you to create one that looks similar to yourself.What lines are available from American Girl?
Although the American Girl brand started with one line, they have expanded to offer several different types of American Girl dolls. These include:
- Historical Characters: The original American Girl historical dolls are from many different time periods and feature accessories and clothing to make them more authentic to their era. They come with books addressing issues such as poverty, slavery, war, child abuse, racism, and animal abuse. This line includes Samantha, Molly, Felicity, and Kirsten.
- Truly Me: The names of this line have changed over the years; however, it has featured 68 different girls that have different eye color, hair color, style, skin tones, and face molds. Some feature teeth and freckles. The variety allows you to choose the one that most resembles you.
- Bitty Baby: These baby dolls are targeted towards children ages 3 and younger. Other baby related items are available for purchase to use with this line such as clothes, cribs, and strollers.
- Welly Wishers: All wearing Wellington Boots, this collection was introduced in the summer of 2016. At 16 inches, they are similar in body shape to the historical characters, and their names are Willa, Camille, Kendall, Emerson, and Ashlyn.
- Hopscotch Hill School: 16-inch dolls geared toward children ages 4-6 that came with stories. They were discontinued in 2006.
These unique dolls require attention to their care and cleaning to keep them looking their best for years to come. Be sure to read any manufacturer care instructions that come with your American Girl. In addition, here are some tips:
- Hair: Lightly mist with water and gently brush or comb. Keep water away from the eyes. You can also purchase the American Girl Hair Care Kit.
- Skin: American Girl Dolls have skin that is vinyl with a matte finish in order to be as real to life as possible. Never submerge your American Girl in water. Instead, use a soft dampened washcloth and a baking soda paste made with warm water. Rub the paste on the skin using a gentle circular motion. Then wipe off and rinse with another damp washcloth and towel dry.
In addition to their lifelike dolls, the Pleasant Company offers American Girl pets, playsets, mini dolls, books, journals, doll clothing, shoes, earrings, doll beds and accessories like glasses, gymnastics equipment, crutches, ice skates, and even matching girls clothing such as dresses and pajamas.